Monday, January 09, 2012

The World Within: C.G. Jung in His Own Words


When I was in my twenties, I read the Collected Works of Carl Jung - well, okay, I was into my thirties before I got through the whole collection (the three volumes on Alchemy were the last that I read). When I began reading Ken Wilber, who also has a whole mess of books, I moved away from Jung. And in recent years, I have been exploring attachment theory and psychoanalytic Self Psychology, especially the intersection of those two schools in intersubjectivity theory.

Recently, however, I have been returning to some Jungian theory again in the last few months, so I have been exploring some of the videos of Jung just for the fun of it.

I've posted a few of them, and there are several more - this one features images from The Red Book.



The World Within: C.G. Jung in His Own Words

Rarely seen interview footage of Carl Jung is the highlight of this video, which explores his idea that the understanding of the images that play across one's mind is of great importance to that individual. Glimpse inside Jung's Red Book, where he described his dreams and fantasies, and witness the paintings he made to record these unconscious images. "...the images of the unconscious place a great responsibility upon a man. Failure to understand them or a shrinking or ethical responsibility deprives him of his wholeness and imposes a painful fragmentariness on his life." Indeed.

No comments: